We live in a 24/7 media cycle where one negative story, truthful or not, can be consumed and redistributed to millions in the blink of an eye. Flipping the switch on a crisis website, along side your communication plan, can significantly mitigate your risks and ensure the right message gets out.
5 Benefits Of Preparing A Crisis Website
- Ensures your message is visible among the noise and encourages balanced coverage
- Establishes your company as the primary source for crisis information
- Provides media with contact information of the appropriate spokesperson(s) for further information/interviews
- Demonstrates your company’s desire for transparency and corporate responsibility
- Mitigates risk of dangerous rumors and speculation
Responding to, or commenting on, negative stories can encourage links, unwanted attention and traffic to offending websites or blogs. A crisis website gives your company a platform to respond to accusations in a non-confrontational space. It also prevents your company from lending credibility to the source of negative attention.
What Valuable Information Does A Crisis Website Provide?
- True assessment of the crisis at hand, and your company’s strategic response
- Steps being taken to address/solve the situation
- Instruction to those affected by the crisis
- Contact information for the media
- Contact information for those impacted by the crisis
- Timely, factual updates on the crisis
- Details on potential impact of the crisis and any company information that aids to create a clear situational understanding
Why Use A Crisis Website Instead Of My Company Website?
- Avoids distraction from the day to day operations and does not draw unwanted attention to the situation for regular users
- Because a crisis website has its own unique navigation, it provides a single focused source for reliable and timely information and reduces the clutter of non-essential items
- Crisis websites can be turned on at a moments notice and become invisible once a crisis is averted, allowing your company website to conduct business as usual
- A crisis website can take advantage of vital keywords in its URL to aid in visibility for search engine optimization.